Engineering Manager- Creation Experience
Engineering | Remote: CA, TX, MI, PA, NY, IL
Our engineering team builds APIs that power the offline world. We started with our print and mail API, which helps developers programmatically send, route, and track physical mail at scale. We followed that with our address verification API. Addresses are the gateway to the offline world, and we help customers make sure the things they’re sending actually get there. Customers and developers love our products, and we’re growing fast to meet their needs. We offer remote working opportunities in California, Texas, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, and Illinois. You can also work onsite at our San Francisco headquarters.
The Creation Experience team’s mission is to make it easy for our customers and partners to integrate with Lob’s APIs and services. We want to make the process of creating and sending mail a seamless experience.
The team owns our primary print and mail API (our first and largest product). All mail sent via Lob enters our system through this API, either via our open source SDKs or direct REST calls. We work together with a Product Manager and Designer to ensure our work meets our customer’s needs. Our team works in a DevOps culture which fosters autonomy and ownership of our services. We follow an agile approach and do bi-weekly sprints.
As the Engineering Manager for the Creation Experience team, you’ll support and grow a team that can meet our customer’s needs as our business grows.
As the Engineering Manager for our Creation Experience team at Lob, you'll
- Work with engineers, PMs, and stakeholders throughout the company to define and prioritize our needs as we grow.
- Apply your technical expertise and collaboration skills to help engineers research, design, and build projects that make us more agile, secure, scalable, and resilient.
- Contribute to our growing devops culture through your values based leadership.
- Be a coach and sounding board for the team, rather than telling them what to do. We see engineering management as a support role: you will help your team build problem-solving muscle by practicing active listening, asking good questions, and giving actionable, timely feedback.
- Recruit, hire, engage, and retain the best problem-solvers and collaborators in the world. You’ll be responsible for building diverse, inclusive teams, where everyone feels comfortable and safe being themselves at work.
- Work with our Engineering leadership and other managers to define and grow the culture of our engineering team. We are building a place where managers collaborate with each other to keep the Engineering organization engaged and learning.
For this role, we're looking for...
- At least 2 years of experience as an Engineering Manager (with direct reports). We want to hear how your teammates developed and grew under your leadership.
- A track record of successful product delivery. You have a background as a software engineer. You can build rapport with engineers by speaking to technical matters. You can provide examples of how you’ve partnered effectively with Product Managers, Designers and other business stakeholders. You enjoy solving complex technical challenges at scale. You’ve had to weigh difficult trade-offs and live with your decisions, and you can tell us what you’ve learned from them.
- Some experience working with microservice ecosystems in a cloud-native environment. We run our services in containers, with a healthy smattering of serverless mixed in. We are heavily using Amazon Web Services (AWS). Experience with AWS (or GCP, or Azure) will be helpful in this role.
- Great communication skills. You should be able to explain your approach and the impact of your work to non-technical stakeholders in a way that is clear to them.
- Since great engineers come from lots of diverse backgrounds, it doesn’t particularly matter if you have a specific degree—we want to hear about your contributions in a business setting.
We’re not just building a platform to make the world programmable. We’re also designing a great place to work.
Lob was built by technical co-founders with a vision to make the world programmable. We offer two flagship APIs (print & mail and address verification) that enable companies to send postal mail as effortlessly as sending emails. Lob is venture-backed by the most reputable investors in tech, and we are rapidly growing our team to shape the future of our company and meet the demands of a quickly growing customer base and dynamic product offerings.
We give our employees a lot of responsibility and ownership of their work. You will have fun at work while engaging in challenging projects with the best and brightest.
- Health benefits for you and your dependent(s)
- Healthcare Flexible Spending Accounts
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Commuter & Parking benefits (includes monthly stipend)
- Remote/distributed, in-office and work from home accommodations
- Wellness program (includes monthly stipend or free Barry’s Bootcamp classes!)
- Paid parental leave
- Free lunch, dinner, and snacks
- Dog-friendly office
- Ground floor opportunity as an early member of the Lob team; you’ll directly shape the direction of our company
Our Commitment to Diversity
Lob is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity of backgrounds and perspectives to cultivate an environment of understanding to have greater impact on our business and customers. We encourage under-represented groups to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
Forbes 30 Under 30 - Enterprise Technology 2017
#61 on Y Combinator's Top Companies List 2018
#26 2018 Fastest-Growing Private Companies, The Business Journals