Engineering Manager, Partner Integrations
Engineering | San Francisco, CA
We believe that the world will become drastically more programmable in the next few years. At Lob, our goal is to build APIs for businesses to increase the connectivity between the online and offline worlds. Companies like Booking.com, Twitter, and Betterment use Lob’s APIs to interface physically with their customers. One in four households in the USA has received mail through Lob, and our infrastructure handles millions of requests per day.
As the Engineering Manager for our Partner Integrations team, you’ll build the team that grows and integrates with our print partner network. We rapidly building out our domestic and international print network. Technologies developed by your team make rapid expansion easy and reliable, and enable print partners everywhere in the world to receive, validate and produce large volumes of mail to our quality standards.
Engineering Managers at Lob empower their team to build robust, secure, and maintainable distributed services to support an ever-growing business. We are strongly opinionated that managers are coaches and thought partners who build diverse, inclusive teams and encourage psychological safety within their team.
As the Engineering Manager for our Partner Integrations team, you’ll…
- Collaborate with Partners Team, PMs, Product Design, and stakeholders throughout the company to understand partnership needs and deliver robust tools that have both internal and external users for onboarding, dynamically configuring, managing and monitoring print partners and print quality health - the core foundation of our platform.
- Recruit, engage, and retain a diverse and inclusive team. Lob’s business growth is exploding, and recruiting will be a large part of this role.
- Utilize your technical expertise to help your team research, design, and build capabilities that solve customer pain, tackle new business opportunities, and make us more agile, secure, scalable, and resilient. Day-to-day coding is not a requirement of this role, but you’ll act as a senior thought partner to the engineers and ultimately be responsible for the collective output of the team.
- Be a coach, thought partner, and sounding board for your reports: “Coach, don’t tell.” We see engineering management as a support role: you will help your team build problem-solving skills by practicing active listening, asking good questions, and giving timely, direct, and kind feedback and encouragement.
For this role, we’re looking for...
- At least 2 years of prior experience as a manager or tech lead with direct reports. We’ll want to hear how your reports developed and grew under your leadership, and how you made your work environment inclusive and psychologically safe.
- Proven experience as a hiring manager and team-builder, and strong partnership with recruiting.
- A track record of successful technical project leadership. You’ve done engineering work at the senior level, solving complex technical challenges at web-scale. You’ve had to weigh difficult trade-offs and live with your decisions, and you can tell us what you’ve learned from them.
- Experience working with microservice ecosystems in a cloud-native environment. We run our services in containers, with a healthy smattering of serverless mixed in.
- Great communication skills. You should be able to explain your approach and the impact of your work to non-technical stakeholders in a way that is clear to them.
- Since great engineers come from a variety of backgrounds, it doesn’t particularly matter if you have a specific degree—we want to hear about your contributions in a real-world business setting.
Lob was built by technical co-founders with a vision to make the world programmable. We offer two flagship APIs (print & mail and address verification) that enable companies to send postal mail as effortlessly as sending emails. Lob is venture-backed by the most reputable investors in tech, and we are rapidly growing our team to shape the future of our company and meet the demands of a quickly growing customer base and dynamic product offerings.
We give our employees a lot of responsibility and ownership of their work. You will have fun at work while engaging in challenging projects with the best and brightest.
- Health benefits for you and your dependent(s)
- Healthcare Flexible Spending Accounts
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Commuter & Parking benefits (includes monthly stipend)
- Wellness program (includes monthly stipend or free Barry’s Bootcamp classes!)
- Paid parental leave
- Free lunch, dinner, and snacks
- Dog-friendly office
- Ground floor opportunity as an early member of the Lob team; you’ll directly shape the direction of our company
Our Commitment to Diversity
Lob is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity of backgrounds and perspectives to cultivate an environment of understanding to have greater impact on our business and customers. We encourage under-represented groups to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Forbes 30 Under 30 - Enterprise Technology 2017
#61 on Y Combinator's Top Companies List 2018
#26 2018 Fastest-Growing Private Companies, The Business Journals
Apply to Job