Senior Software Engineer
Engineering | San Francisco, CA
Lob is building a suite of APIs to simplify and automate enterprise workflows. Our first API helps you programmatically send physical mail at scale. Our second is address verification—officially CASS-certified by the USPS. But our long-term goal is to provide the building blocks for developers to automate the offline world through APIs. We’re looking for great problem-solvers to help us figure out how.
As a member of our software engineering team, you’ll design and implement great products on a modern infrastructure. You’ll take ownership of web-scale engineering challenges that affect millions of people.
Our engineering team values agility, collaboration, and autonomy. We’re building a team of not just strong problem-solvers, but great collaborators—engineers who are excited to teach and learn from each other, share decisions and information freely, and work together on new problems that no other companies have solved before. Come join the best people in the business.
As a senior software engineer, you’ll...
- Scope, design, and implement solutions to original problems pertaining to existing, and new, APIs.
- Develop simple, elegant, scalable infrastructure that anticipates rapid growth and iteration.
- Use your background and experiences in the field to advocate for engineering best practices that make everyone around you more effective while minimizing risk.
- Collaborate with partners within Lob to troubleshoot business challenges, remove bottlenecks, and identify new opportunities for growth.
- Measure the effectiveness of our engineering work, and use data to drive decisions to help our customers.
- Coach and mentor other engineers.
For this role, we’re looking for...
- A track record of extraordinary problem-solving skills and technical judgment. You’ve solved complex technical challenges at web-scale that are ambiguous around the edges and weighing difficult design trade-offs.
- Exceptional collaborators and communicators. At Lob, you win by helping others succeed. You have concrete examples of ways you’ve gone above and beyond to help the people around you meet their goals.
- Experience building or working with APIs. It turns out that they’re are a lot harder to design and change than they are to consume. You have Strong Opinions about what good API design looks like, informed by real-world experience.
- Experience working with modern web technologies at scale. It doesn’t necessarily matter which ones specifically if you know how to use them well. But, for what it’s worth, we like Node.js, Go, Elixir, Angular, React, PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch, and most of the good parts of AWS.
Lob was built by technical co-founders with a vision to make the world programmable. We offer two flagship APIs (print & mail and address verification) that enable companies to send postal mail as effortlessly as sending emails. Lob is venture-backed by the most reputable investors in tech, and we are rapidly growing our team to shape the future of our company and meet the demands of a quickly growing customer base and dynamic product offerings.
We give our employees a lot of responsibility and ownership of their work. You will have fun at work while engaging in challenging projects with the best and brightest.
- Health benefits for you and your dependent(s)
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Commuter & Parking benefits (includes monthly stipend)
- Wellness program (includes monthly stipend or free Barry’s Bootcamp classes!)
- Paid parental leave
- Free lunch, dinner, and snacks
- Dog-friendly office
- Ground floor opportunity as an early member of the Lob team; you’ll directly shape the direction of our company
Our Commitment to Diversity
Lob is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity of backgrounds and perspectives to cultivate an environment of understanding to have greater impact on our business and customers. We encourage under-represented groups to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Forbes 30 Under 30 - Enterprise Technology 2017
#61 on Y Combinator's Top Companies List 2018
#26 2018 Fastest-Growing Private Companies, The Business Journals