Head of Design
Product & Design | San Francisco, CA
We are seeking an exceptional individual to lead Product Design at Lob. As the Head of Lob’s Product Design team, you will have the unique opportunity to hire, manage, and mentor a team of talented designers in product, UX, UI, and research roles while ensuring consistency, elegance, and excellence in design execution across a portfolio of products and projects. You will be responsible for defining methodologies, best practices, and a design system that collectively makes product design a center of excellence at Lob. In addition, we expect you to roll up your sleeves on key projects to assist the team with user research, prototypes, and visual designs. This role reports directly to Harry, one of Lob’s co-founders, and will collaborate closely with product management, engineering, and other cross-functional leaders at Lob.
As the Head of Design, you'll...
- Lead all aspects of Product Design, collaborating with your team and stakeholders across the company to design and deliver amazing, intuitive product capabilities
- Hire, mentor, manage, and inspire an amazing team and empower them to lead design projects while ensuring consistency with Lob’s design standards
- Establish and champion a strong creative point of view that balances achievement on short term deliverables with longer-term investments in usability, best practice processes, and design systems development
- Apply strategic thinking and customer research to help you and your team deliver extraordinary end-to-end product designs with a focus on user needs and business objectives
- Establish and incorporate quantitative and qualitative approaches for both generative and usability research
- Utilize industry standards, best practices, modern design principles, and common patterns to define and implement design guidelines, and execute on specific project designs
- Collaborate effectively with engineering, product management, customer success, and other teams at Lob
- Create a culture where Lob is considered a design leader and pioneer in the community
For this role, we're looking for...
- 8-10+ years of experience as a design leader across multiple disciplines including product, research, visual, and UX / interaction design
- 3-5+ years hiring, managing, mentoring, and inspiring a product design team. Possess a natural ability and inclination to lead by example.
- Relentless desire to hold yourself and your team accountable to innovation and high standards, balanced with meeting customer and business needs in a timely manner.
- Deep understandingof the user-centered design process, with a proven ability to manage multiple concurrent projects across a design team.
- Ability to connect design decisions back to business objectives, and to work cross-functionally across engineering, product management, leadership, and key stakeholders to help flesh out user needs, propose intuitive solutions, and build consensus.
- Able to engage around product strategy and vision (not just “how it should look” but “what we should build and why”).
- A strong portfolio with demonstrated experience designing modern, compelling, highly adopted software applications and design systems known for excellence in design.
- Extraordinary communication and leadership skills, including the ability to clearly explain design decisions to anyone in the company. A keen ability to champion the best ideas and push back on others with integrity, respect, and an informed point-of-view.
- Ability to consider long-term sustainability, consistency, and reusability in all design decisions that reflect modern principles.
- Proficiency in testing and research methodologies, for both generative research and user testing.
- Ability to produce high-quality sketches, wireframes, interactive prototypes, pixel-perfect visual designs, style guides and more.
- Proficiency in a variety of design tools including Sketch, InVision, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. A solid understanding of CSS and HTML is preferred.
- The ability to operate in a dynamic, fast-moving environment, including a strong inclination towards rapid iteration based upon user feedback.
Lob was built by technical co-founders with a vision to make the world programmable. We offer two flagship APIs (print & mail and address verification) that enable companies to send postal mail as effortlessly as sending emails. Lob is venture-backed by the most reputable investors in tech, and we are rapidly growing our team to shape the future of our company and meet the demands of a quickly growing customer base and dynamic product offerings.
We give our employees a lot of responsibility and ownership of their work. You will have fun at work while engaging in challenging projects with the best and brightest.
- Health benefits for you and your dependent(s)
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Commuter & Parking benefits (includes monthly stipend)
- Wellness program (includes monthly stipend or free Barry’s Bootcamp classes!)
- Paid parental leave
- Free lunch, dinner, and snacks
- Dog-friendly office
- Ground floor opportunity as an early member of the Lob team; you’ll directly shape the direction of our company
Our Commitment to Diversity
Lob is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity of backgrounds and perspectives to cultivate an environment of understanding to have greater impact on our business and customers. We encourage under-represented groups to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Forbes 30 Under 30 - Enterprise Technology 2017
#61 on Y Combinator's Top Companies List 2018
#26 2018 Fastest-Growing Private Companies, The Business Journals