Senior Engineering Manager
Engineering | San Francisco, CA
Our team builds APIs that power the offline world. We started with our print and mail API, which helps developers programmatically send, route, and track physical mail at scale. One in four households in the USA has received mail through Lob.
Our second product is our Address Verification API. Used by everyone from small businesses to Fortune 100 companies, address verification helps people ensure the things they’re sending actually get there. Customers and developers alike love our products, and between our best-in-class, CASS-certified US solution and our international offerings, we’re growing fast to meet their needs.
We’re looking for a Senior Engineering Manager to lead the team. You’ll help the team execute against our goals with technical excellence, coach engineers to develop great problem-solving skills, provide visibility into the team’s progress, and build a diverse and inclusive team. As one of our early engineering managers, you’ll also help define our engineering culture and best practices as the company grows.
As the Engineering Manager for our Address Verification team, you’ll...
- Partner with PMs, Product Design, and stakeholders throughout the company to understand user needs and deliver amazing Address Verification capabilities to delight our customers. Build positive relationships with data and technology partners outside the company.
- Apply your technical expertise to help the Address Verification engineers research, design, and build capabilities that solve customer pain, tackle new business opportunities, and make us more agile, secure, scalable, and resilient. Day-to-day coding is not a requirement of this role, but you’ll act as a senior thought partner to the engineers and ultimately be responsible for the collective output of the team.
- Be a coach, thought partner, and sounding board for the AV engineers: “Coach, don’t tell.” We see engineering management as a support role: you will help your team build problem-solving skills by practicing active listening, asking good questions, and giving timely, direct, and kind feedback and encouragement.
- Recruit, engage, and retain the best problem-solvers and collaborators in the world. You’ll be responsible for building diverse, inclusive teams, where everyone feels comfortable and safe being themselves at work.
- Work with our VP Engineering and other Engineering Managers to define the culture of our engineering management team. We are building a place where Engineering Managers collaborate with each other to make the Engineering organization as healthy as we can, instead of playing politics. Our first Engineering Managers will lay the cultural foundation for how things look in the future, no matter how big we get.
For this role, we’re looking for...
- At least 2 years of prior experience as a manager or tech lead with direct reports. We’ll want to hear how your reports developed and grew under your leadership, and how you made your work environment inclusive and psychologically safe.
- A track record of successful technical project leadership. You’ve done engineering work at the senior level, solving complex technical challenges at web-scale. You’ve had to weigh difficult trade-offs and live with your decisions, and you can tell us what you’ve learned from them.
- Experience working with microservice ecosystems in a cloud-native environment. We run our services in containers, with a healthy smattering of serverless mixed in.
- Great communication skills. You should be able to explain your approach and the impact of your work to non-technical stakeholders in a way that is clear to them.
- Proven recruiting experience as a hiring manager.
- Since great engineers come from a variety of backgrounds, it doesn’t particularly matter if you have a specific degree—we want to hear about your contributions in a real-world business setting.
Lob was built by technical co-founders with a vision to make the world programmable. We offer two flagship APIs (print & mail and address verification) that enable companies to send postal mail as effortlessly as sending emails. Lob is venture-backed by the most reputable investors in tech, and we are rapidly growing our team to shape the future of our company and meet the demands of a quickly growing customer base and dynamic product offerings.
We give our employees a lot of responsibility and ownership of their work. You will have fun at work while engaging in challenging projects with the best and brightest.
- Health benefits for you and your dependent(s)
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Commuter & Parking benefits (includes monthly stipend)
- Wellness program (includes monthly stipend or free Barry’s Bootcamp classes!)
- Paid parental leave
- Free lunch, dinner, and snacks
- Dog-friendly office
- Ground floor opportunity as an early member of the Lob team; you’ll directly shape the direction of our company
Our Commitment to Diversity
Lob is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity of backgrounds and perspectives to cultivate an environment of understanding to have greater impact on our business and customers. We encourage under-represented groups to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Forbes 30 Under 30 - Enterprise Technology 2017
#61 on Y Combinator's Top Companies List 2018
#26 2018 Fastest-Growing Private Companies, The Business Journals